Frequently asked questions:
We have heard from families with a variety of questions about what to expect when school resumes in fall. While of course we are subject to any orders from government and health officials, here are some FAQs based on what we know at this time.
1. What should parents and students expect this fall?
This is not an exhaustive list, but here are some changes we anticipate:
- Class Family Groups– A static group of students with only their class teachers. The children in each group will learn, eat, play and have specialist classes together but may not physically mingle with others on campus.
- Outdoor Learning Spaces – We know that COVID-19 is much less likely to spread outdoors, when weather permits we can comfortably host classes outdoors as much as possible. Only one Class Family group will be outside at any given time.
- Visitor Restrictions– Health officials currently recommend that parents use rolling drop off and do not get out of their vehicles at school.
- Face Coverings – All teachers will be wearing transparent face shields so that children can see facial expressions. The use of masks of children to be confirmed.
- Scheduled Hand Washing(and of course as needed)
- Temperature & Symptom Screening – Anyone coming on campus will be screened for a fever or symptoms.
- Sick Policy – Anyone coming on campus must be symptom-free (Congestion or runny nose, nausea, and diarrhea, fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell and sore throat) for 72 hours. Out of an abundance of caution, staff/students will need to go home immediately if symptoms occur at school.
COVID-19 Testing – All teachers and staff will be tested. We strongly encourage all families &students tested before returning to school and to follow all public health guidelines. When we come back to school, it is important to protect the health and safety of everyone in our Class Family Group.
2. WHO WILL MY CHILD’S TEACHER(S) BE? CAN I MEET THE TEACHER(S)?
With the current restrictions on group size, we do not yet know how many children can be placed together and subsequently which class each child will be placed in. As we get closer to fall, we will share more information with families.
We will be looking at each child’s learning profile, social-emotional strengths and peer group and placing children where they will be the most successful.
3. CAN YOU GUARANTEE MY CHILD WON’T BE EXPOSED OR GET SICK?
We are unable to guarantee that your child will not be exposed to Covid-19 or other illnesses. We are following the recommendations of the CDC, MDH and local leaders to create protocols and procedures to minimize risk.
4. WHAT IF MY CHILD FITS INTO ONE OF THE VULNERABLE CATEGORIES?
It is recommended that your child stay at home.
5. WHAT HAPPENS IF A CHILD OR PARENT OF A CHILD IS DIAGNOSED WITH A CONFIRMED CASE OF COVID-19?
If there is a confirmed COVID-19 case of a parent or child to the school, leadership staff will follow the guidance from the Health Department that includes protocols for closing, investigating, cleaning and reopening.
6. ENRICHMENT PROGRAMMES?
No. Enrichment programming is canceled to keep the number of people interacting to a minimum. When we begin to offer these programs, we will communicate that to you.
7. WHAT TYPE OF TRAINING WILL THE STAFF RECEIVE?
Prior to the first day, all staff will receive training on the new protocols and procedures that we are implementing.
8. WILL CHILDREN, PARENTS AND STAFF BE REQUIRED TO WEAR A MASK?
We are currently reviewing the best policies related to the use of masks by children; we will provide guidance before the program begins
All adults will be required to wear a mask.
9. WILL YOU BE ABLE TO APPLY SOCIAL DISTANCING PRACTICES WITH CHILDREN?
We cannot guarantee that social distancing will be followed with this age group, but we will be working with our children to learn about personal space and boundaries. We will limit intermingling between the classrooms to emphasize social distancing and minimize the number of people your children are exposed to.
10. ARE THERE ANY CHANGES TO OUTDOOR TIME OR ACTIVITIES IN THE CLASSROOM?
When weather permits we can comfortably host classes outdoors as much as possible. Only one Class Family group will be outside at any given time.
All enrichment activities have been canceled.
11. HOW WILL SHARED SUPPLIES BE CLEANED?
Rotate toys without leaving them all on the shelves.
Toys like puzzles need to be wiped after each child’s use.
A tub for toys that need to be cleaned and disinfected after use (choose toys can withstand constant washing).
Each child will have Individual baggies with everyday materials that will ONLY belong to them. A list of these materials will be sent out in our first-day email.
If sharing materials, materials need to be sanitized between uses.